Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of heaven belongs.” (Matthew 19:14 NRSV)
Sunday School is provided on most Sundays to children aged 4 through 6th grade from 10:20 to 11:05 a.m. and meets in the lower level of the Barn. Each Sunday is planned to help children grow in their love and knowledge of Jesus through singing, lessons, activities, games and special events.
Each Sunday School day begins in the choir room where children learn new songs which are offered periodically by the Children’s Choir in worship services.
- Lessons focus on each Sunday’s Gospel reading. The scripture lesson is retold as a story the children can talk about, playact, and in other ways respond to.
- Occasionally there are outdoor excursions to the gardens, the labyrinth and to see the sheep. Field trips to learn about both the Historic Church and the Barn are planned.
- The children regularly participate in an outreach project that benefits ministries supported by the church including the Clinic and Church Housing.
- Advent and Christmas will bring opportunities to create Advent wreaths and to participate in the Christmas Eve Pageant.
- Many friendships are formed through Sunday School.
It is unavoidable that activities conflict with children’s regular attendance in Sunday School. Know that children can attend as their schedules permit. Missing classes is not a problem. It is only that the children are missed when they are not present.
All children are invited to participate in Sunday School. Family membership in St. Peter’s Church is not a requirement.